Books, Chapters & White Papers
- Stoltz, D. Haines, C., Strittmatter, C., Guernsey, L., Parry, D., Sanders, C. and
Czarnecki, E. Peer Learning: An Active Approach (forthcoming in 2021) Chicago, IL: ALA Editions/Neal-Schuman.
- Campana, K., Haines, C., Kociubuk, J., & Langsam, P. Making the connection: Computational thinking and early learning for young children and their families. Public Libraries, July/August 2020.
- Contributor, “Technology Tools” and “Best Practices” in Virtual Storytime Services Resource Guide. Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy and ALSC, 2020.
- Haines, C. (2019). “Computational thinking in storytime: Robots.” In E. Kroski (Ed.) 60 ready-to-use coding projects. Chicago, IL: ALA Editions/Neal-Schuman.
- Koester, A. & Haines, C. (2019). “Librarians as media mentors: Building media literacy with programming, advisory, and access.” In K. Campana & J. E. Mills (Eds.) Create, innovate, and serve: A radical approach to children’s and youth services. Chicago, IL: ALA Editions/Neal-Schuman.
- Haines, C. (2019). “Apps for children: regulatory issues” In R. Hobbs & P. Mahailidis (Eds.) The International encyclopedia of media literacy, John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Haines, C., Campbell, C. & Association for Library Service to Children (2016). Becoming a media mentor: Working with children and families. Chicago, IL: ALA Editions/Neal-Schuman.
- Campbell, C., Haines, C., Koester, A., & Stoltz, D. (2015). Media mentorship in libraries serving youth. Chicago, IL: ALSC.
- Haines, C. & Kluver, C. (2015). Evaluation of New Media. In A. Koester (Ed.) Young children, new media, and libraries: A guide for incorporating new media into library collections, services, and programs for families and children ages 0-5. Evanston, IL: Little eLit.
Articles/Guest Blog Posts
- Haines, C. Using Computational Thinking to Teach a New Generation of Problem Solvers. PBS SoCal, October, 2020.
- Haines, C. Radio Storytime: A librarian’s solution to a COVID problem. PBS SoCal, July 30, 2020. (reposted at Joan Ganz Cooney Center at Sesame Workshop.)
- Kociubuk, J., Campana, C., Langsam, P. & Haines, C. Encouraging computational thinking for young children and their families at a distance. Public Libraries Online. July 30, 2020.
- Campana, K., Mills, J., Martens, M. & Haines, C. Where are we now? The evolving use of new media and young children in libraries. Children and Libraries, Winter, 2019.
- Haines, C. Cloud science comes to the Homer Public Library. Alaska Library Association’s Newspoke. May 8, 2019.
- Campana, K., Mills, J., Haines, C., Prendergast, T., & Martens, M. To tech or not to tech?: The debate about technology, young children and the the library. Children and Libraries, July, 2019.
- Haines, C. Computational thinking in storytime with robots. Joan Ganz Cooney Center at Sesame Workshop, November 20, 2018.
- Haines, C. Makers2Mentors: CS week in Homer, AK, District Dispatch, December 6, 2017.
- Haines, C. Media literacy in storytime, Joan Ganz Cooney Center at Sesame Workshop, November 7, 2017.
- Haines, C. A checklist for evaluating children’s media. Joan Ganz Cooney Center at Sesame Workshop, May 8, 2017.
- Haines, C. Bridging the distance. SJSU ALASC Descriptor, March 22, 2017.
- Haines, C. Sparking a love of lifelong learning early at the public library. Joan Ganz Cooney Center at Sesame Workshop, October 24, 2016. (also reprinted in the Homer News, November 16, 2016.)
- Haines, C., Campbell, C. and ALSC. Becoming a media mentor: Creating trusted sources for emerging media. American Libraries Magazine. November 1, 2016. (excerpt from Becoming a Media Mentor.)
- Haines, C. and Campbell, C. What happens when storytime is over? Joan Ganz Cooney Center September 19, 2016.
- Haines, C. and Makled, J. National library lock-in features authors, games, and Minecraft. School Library Journal. August 19, 2014.
- Haines, C. ‘Growing Readers’ monthly early literacy articles including book and app reviews, Homer News, September 2016-2017
- Haines, C. ‘Raising a Reader’ monthly early literacy articles including book and app reviews, Homer Tribune, October, 2015- May, 2016.